Monday, January 31, 2005

A Poem for My Children

Both of my adopted children have used poetry to express the feelings they struggle with. And as they have learned to trust, they have expressed their love to me in the same way. This is my attempt.

“I know you’ve been hurt, my child.
I know you’ve been wounded.
I know your heart’s torn in two from what you’ve been through.
But I am your Momma now;
I want to comfort you.
Please open your heart to me and let me love you.”

These are the words that I said to my children.
The children who came to me from some else’s home
This is the heartache I shared with my children.
The ones that I wanted to become my own.

I wanted so badly to turn back the clock
To take back the harm that had already been done.
I cry for the little ones who cried in the dark
For the innocent ones that were so alone.

And now they’re half grown and still curled up in the dark
Still hurting from hurts from a long-ago time.
And I ache with desire to give comfort and peace
Knowing always that I can’t undo the crime.

I cannot nurture the infant. I cannot bond with the babe.
I cannot hold them ‘til the rising of the sun.
I cannot rescue the victim. I cannot stop the attacker.
I cannot change what has already been done.

And I ache with a pain that is deep and consuming
And I cry with tears that fall like rain.
And I wait for the day that these children I love
Turn and open their hearts once again.

And that day finally came as each one in turn
Decided to risk one more time.
I was there when they reached for a comforting hand
I was there when they finally took mine.

Now my heart is so full it is bursting the seams
And I never have thought it believable.
But I say it’s a fact and I’ll never back down
All the pain is replaced by a love so incredible.

When you love one of these who’ve been hurt so much more
You will never give as much as you gain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home